If you would like to feel that you would like to put something back into our community and volunteer for the Committee in any role, no matter how large or small, please speak with our Administrator or contact us on 01380 859389 or email us here We very much look forward to welcoming all new volunteers.
The Committee is responsible for:
- Supporting the senior staff in managing the Pre-School finances and personnel;
- Making sure that the Pre-School has – and works to – policies which help it to provide a high quality service;
- Making sure that the Pre-School works in partnership with the children’s parents; and
We depend very much on the goodwill of parents and their involvement with the Pre-School. Without the Committee the Pre-School would not be able to operate and would have to close.
Each volunteer member of the Committee will bring different skills which are invaluable to the running of our Pre-School. Committee members have worked, or do work, in various industries, such as management, financial, or secretarial. Others may have worked with children before, or in situations dealing directly with the public. Both Mum’s and Dad’s are equally welcome to join us. The important thing is, you don’t need any direct experience to make a difference.
The Committee can consist of no more that 12 elected members, but sub-committees may be formed so tasks may be shared among parents and all the work need not fall on any one person. There are three main roles required on the Committee, the Chair, the Treasurer and the Secretary. These posts have a more defined role, some details of which are set out below together with some of the duties shared amongst Committee members:
Chair – Allan Wall
Chairs all committee, general and annual meetings including the AGM. Assists the Secretary with the preparation of the agenda for these meetings. Co-ordinates the work of the Committee. Acts as the “Nominated Person” for Ofsted purposes. Line manages the Administrator of the Pre-School. Works alongside the Treasurer and may sign cheques jointly with him and supports the rest of the Committee members.
Treasurer – Stephanie Ottoway
Prepares or assists in preparing in advance an annual budget for the Pre-School and monitors it regularly. Monitors the Pre-School’s bank accounts, opens new accounts if required and changes signatories when required. Signs cheques jointly with the Business manager or other nominated Committee members. Keeps accounts of all income and expenditure and keeps the Committee aware of the financial position of the Pre-School by providing a statement of the finances at every meeting. Arranges to have the accounts audited and presents them at the AGM. Arranges for accounts to be filed and records updated at the Charities Commission.
Secretary – Karly Holmes
Organises all meetings including booking venues (if appropriate) and liaising with Committee members to ensure they are all informed. Prepares and circulates agenda’s for each meeting, takes minutes at each meeting and circulates minutes for approval of all Committee members. Supports all Committee members.
- Allan Wall
- Stephanie Ottoway
- Sarah Humphries
- Jenna Humphries- Designated safeguarding representative
- Sue Dicks
- Christine Price
- Kerry Lewis
- Karly Holmes
Shared responsibilities for all Committee members
- To act in the best interests of the Pre-School, promoting its values and working together to achieve its charitable objectives.
- Working as part of a team, reading Committee papers and contributing to the decision making process of the Committee.
- Undertake Ofsted suitability checks as appropriate.
- Ensure that the Pre-School complies with the rules in its constitution, charity law and other regulations that govern the work of the Pre-School.
- The Committee is elected at the Annual General Meeting held in March each year and generally meets twice a term.
- The Annual General Meeting is open to the parents of all of the children who attend the Pre-School.
It is our forum for looking back over the previous year’s activities and shaping the coming year’s activities.